This past month, members of the Voltage digital marketing team had the opportunity to attend the SEMPO Cities KC Search Marketing Conference in the Kansas City Crossroads neighborhood at Lifted Spirits Distillery. Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization (SEMPO) is a global non-profit organization serving marketing professionals and the search engine marketing industry and the Cities program is the local extension of the global organization. This conference was Kansas City’s third annual event as part of the SEMPO Cities series.
The day’s event led off with a number of presentations on organic search, with a focus on what’s working and not working, along with how to be a cutting-edge marketer. Paid search owned the second half of the day with presentations providing insight on how to take your paid search efforts to the next level. Heather Physioc, Director of Organic Search at VML, had the audience’s attention during her thought-provoking keynote speech as she spoke on the evolution of the search industry in an A.I. world.
From the presentations, the Voltage team gathered 5 main takeaways:
- 3 C’s in local search that should not be ignored: Call-To-Action, Communication, and Content
- The new 2018 buzzword is “content rot”
- Google wants to know if your site is: Secure, Fast and Mobile-friendly
- A feature of Google Shopping, local inventory ads and the local storefront allow the user to purchase a product without ever going to a website
- Search jobs are growing 5x the rate of the rest of the job market
Our own Patrick Gordon, Director of Digital Marketing, gave a presentation on the 7 steps to a quality Google AdWords audit, complete with various Kimmy Schmidt GIFs and everyones’ favorite dad jokes.
We have been involved in SEMPO Cities since its start in 2015 and encourage you to join us next time around in KC or in other SEMPO Cities around the world. Watch the SEMPO events page for information on upcoming events.